| TOUR DETAILS
• We can arrange the departure day or date to suit your own programme or schedule. Please note that as we are a small organization, our resources (guides, bikes, kayaks and available accommodation) do sometimes get fully booked, so please book early to avoid disappointment. If you preferred date is not available then we will inform you and offer the nearest available dates.
• This trek is conducted on a privately escorted basis only. You and your group of family, friends or work colleagues will be provided with your own private guide and transport etc. We trek where other companies rarely trek, you are unlikely to see other trekkers. Sorry we do not offer any group tours.
• You will be picked up directly from your hotel or guest house in Chiang Mai. Transport to and from the start point of the trek or activity will be by seated and covered pick up truck. At the end of the trek you will be dropped off at your hotel or guest house in Chiang Mai.
• You will be provided with two nights accommodation
Night 1: You will stay in a real Lahu house constructed from timber and bamboo. Accommodation is very basic you will be supplied with a thin sleeping mat on a hard wooden floor as well as blankets or a sleeping bag. In the cool season night time temperatures can get very cold please bring appropriate clothing.
Night 2: You will stay in Tree House Village. Tree house Village is a purpose build timber and bamboo construction built onto the hill side in Mae Mae Shan Village. Tree house Village offers both dorm style/family room accommodation as well as a couple of private double rooms. Accommodation is basic but comfortable with thick soft mattresses and bedding.
Accommodation Note: We fairly compensate the villages for providing the overnight accommodation and provides one means of the villages benefiting from the tourists visiting their village. We rotate the houses we use amongst the village to spread the tourism benefit around the village as fairly as possible.
You do not need to carry your own bedding up into the mountains Barking Gecko will supply this.
• You will be provided with a Barking Gecko English speaking and TAT (Tourist Authority of Thailand) trained and certified trekking guide. Many guides used are natives of the area you will trek in and know the areas very well. Depending on the group size and if a porter is required we will employ these from the local village.
• As an officially licensed TAT authorized trekking operator we will provide accident insurance as required by the terms of our TAT License. Accident insurance will cover medical bills up to a value of 100,000 baht in case of an accident or injury while on a Barking Gecko trek or activity.
What to wear
• Wear light clothes as biking and trekking in Thailand can be hot and sweaty work. Shorts, T shirt and a sun hat are ideal. Long trousers are OK as they will protect your lower legs more but will be hotter to wear.
• Although day time temperatures are usually hot you will need at least a warm jumper for the evenings and early mornings. In the cold season temperatures can get very cold! Please be prepared and bring warm clothes.
• In the rainy season from April to October bring a rain coat and a dry change of clothes. Rain is possible at any time of the year so it will probably be worth packing a lightweight rain coat even in the dry season.
• Although hiking boots aren't a necessity at least a sturdy pair of running shoes should be worn. Some people trek with sandals but they do leave your feet open to be scratched by vegetation and are not recommended also flip flops (thongs) aren't appropriate as they don't provide enough support. You may want to bring a pair or light sandals for comfort ware after the days trekking.
What to bring
• A small rucksack/day sack
• A change of clothes (shorts & t shirt) especially useful in the wet season to change into at the end of the day
• A lightweight rain coat
• Warm jumper/pullover
• Swimming suit
• Small towel/sarong
• Insect repellent/mosquito spray
• Toilet paper
• One bottle of water
• Personal toiletries
• Some money for drinks and hill tribe crafts
• Plastic bags (good for keeping your gear dry in the wet season)
What to do with you main luggage
• You only need to bring a day sack with your trekking essentials on the trek or activity. Please leave you main luggage at your guest house or hotel. In Chiang Mai because of the popularity of overnight treks nearly all hotels and guest houses offer secure luggage storage for their guests, most establishments offer this as a free service while some may charge a small fee.
• This trip will involve 3 days hiking in hilly terrain as well as a biking in a hot tropical climate. A good level of health and fitness will be required.
• During this trek you will be provided with 7 meals.
Day 1: lunch, dinner
Day 2: breakfast, lunch, dinner
Day 3: breakfast, lunch,
We can cater to a vegetarian diet, please inform us on the booking form.
• Tipping is at your own discretion and choice, We already pay our staff carry out the role and we are sure they will serve you to a high standard, but if you felt that you were served well during your trip any extra income is gratefully received.
• If you find that this trekking experience doesn't quite suit your needs, please let us know we can customize the itinerary to your requirements. For those who are less energetic we can usually tailor the length of physical activities to suit.
Our responsible travel policy for this trip
• We will offset any carbon emissions we produce on this tour by supporting local tree planting and reforestation
• 10% of profits will be donated to worthy projects such as the local hill tribe village school. In accordance with our
responsible travel policy....more info
• We will be employing local guides and using the services of the local people we are visiting wherever practicable.
• This tour will be operated according to the principles set out in our responsible travel policy....more info
VIEW FULL POLICY HERE